Monday, May 10, 2010

An introverts point of view

Brain One: I am an introvert. This is how I perceive myself, and most likely is the first impression I give to others. To myself, I wonder if it’s just social anxieties that need to be overcome. It’s that queasy feeling in the pit of your stomach along with that voice inside your head that says you are going to make an idiot of yourself. So, I keep quiet and let others take the lead.

Letting others lead is not a bad thing. This gives you the opportunity to listen. You learn more from listening than you do from opening your mouth and inserting your foot. Look for a common ground; this will give you an opportunity to join in the conversation. The first impression might be “she’s quiet”; but a lasting impression might be “she’s a good listener”.

My philosophical tendencies when I write do not always adhere to my reality. We can all claim moments of irrevocable dysfunctional discourse.

Wow! I love big words. Everyone should own a Thesaurus; especially a Meteorologist. Every summer I wonder how many times they can say that it is “sticky” outside. Keep in mind that it is not just the words we use, but how we use them. In Elementary School we are taught the basics of writing and communication. One thing that remains foremost in my memory is teachers saying, “Stop using the word “I” to start every sentence.” Was this a way to remind us that not everything revolves around us?

Ok, so I’m getting off track here. But it only goes to prove my point. Sometimes listening is better than babbling like an idiot.

Let's learn to listen. Sometimes what you hear is more important than what you have to say. If you listen hard enough you might even hear what is not being said.

2 comments:

  1. Where is Brain 2?? Or, is this a reference to Brain 2? Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Brain 2 is going to make a grand entrance. Or maybe, she's just out of her mind...(pun intended). Currently, I will graciously give her the time she needs to put her thoughts in order.

    I have found it it no small task to display my convictions for all to see. I wonder what my phycology teacher in High School would say if he read this blog. Probably the same thing he said back then...your nuts. That was such a fun class.

    In the end, I have to agree...Brain 2 where are you????

    ReplyDelete